The state of Texas treats cybercrimes very seriously. If you were charged with one, you will need to retain the services of a Hidalgo County, Texas criminal defense lawyer today. Our legal team is on your side.
What kinds of cybercrimes are punishable in the state of Texas?
Thre are a number of different types of cybercrimes recognizable and punishable in the state of Texas including the following:
- Knowingly entering a computer, computer network, or computer system without the consent of the owner
- Willfully soliciting a minor under the age of 17 over the internet, text message, or another electronic system in order to meet in person for the purpose of engaging in sexual behavior
- Knowingly accessing a computer system, network, program, software, or machine that is involved in a voting system
- Creating a web page or leaving messages on a social networking site using the identity of another without the person’s consent with the intent to harm, defraud, intimidate or threaten someone
- Referencing the name, domain address, phone number, or any other identifying information of a person without that person’s consent, intending to cause the recipient to think the message is truly coming from that person, with the intent to harm or defraud someone
What are the consequences of cybercrimes in Texas?
There are several different kinds of cybercrimes recognized by Texas state law. The consequences of cybercrimes mostly depend on the type of crime, who the victim of the crime is, and if the defendant has previous criminal charges. The following felonies and misdemeanors are the specific charges in Texas:
- Class B misdemeanor: Up to 180 days in county jail, fine of up to $2,000.
- Class A misdemeanor: Up to 1 year in jail, fine of up to $4,000.
- Third-degree felony: 2 to 10 years in state prison, fine of up to $10,000.
- Second-degree felony: 2 to 20 years in prison, fine of up to $10,000.
- First-degree felony: 5 years to life in prison, fine of up to $10,000.
If you are encountering cybercrime charges in Texas, it is in your best interest to contact a skilled Texas criminal defense attorney to discuss your options. Our legal team is equipped with the knowledge and experience required to defend you and your rights.
Contact Our Hidalgo County, Texas Firm
With collective decades of experience, the experienced attorneys at the Law Office of Angel Davila are committed to helping protect you from the penalties associated with a criminal conviction by defending you against charges of everything from DUI to Murder, and everything in between. We also help people through various family law and estate planning matters. Our firm proudly serves clients in Hidalgo County and throughout the state of Texas. For quality legal defense when you need it most, contact the Law Office of Angel Davila today.