If you are convicted of a crime, you can face overwhelming fines, time spent in jail or prison, and the burdens of a permanent criminal record. Therefore, if you have been falsely accused of a crime, you should not have to suffer these repercussions. You need to take action immediately to prevent this from happening. Follow along to learn how a proficient Hidalgo County, Texas criminal defense lawyer at Angel Davila Law can fight this conviction off on your behalf.
What should I do if I am falsely accused of a crime?
If you claim innocence of a crime you are accused of, the law enforcement officer, judge, or jury will not just take your word for it. Instead, you need proper legal representation, and you need it as soon as possible. This is where one of the talented McAllen, Texas lawyers will step in. Once they assess your case, your attorney will educate you on your legal rights and prepare you for the legal battle ahead. They will then use their best judgment to choose one of the following legal strategies:
- If you have not yet been charged with the crime:
- Intervention: this is a proactive measure. Your attorney will discuss your defense with the law enforcement officer or prosecutor and provide evidence that persuades them of your innocence.
- Take no action at all: this is a passive measure, yet it is still effective. This is for when your attorney is convinced that the prosecutor will not be able to produce sufficient evidence to charge you with the crime. For example, they may receive witness testimony or test results that say otherwise.
- If you have been formally charged with the crime:
- Investigation: your attorney will conduct a thorough investigation of the crime to evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of the prosecutor’s case, such as what evidence and witnesses they have collected so far, and your defense, such as your ability to retain expert witnesses.
- Plea agreement: your attorney will enter into a plea agreement with the prosecutor so you can receive a lesser charge. This avoids the risk of a harsher sentence or a permanent criminal record.
What other steps should I take immediately after being falsely accused of a crime?
Once you hire your attorney and they begin with their legal strategy, you should fulfill your responsibility of gathering any evidence that you can get your hands on. Such proof should point to where you were, what you were doing, or otherwise, on the date of the supposed incident. The evidence that can prove your innocence includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- GPS data.
Contact Our Hidalgo County, Texas Firm
For quality legal defense for criminal convictions, family law matters, and estate planning matters, contact the Law Office of Angel Davila today.