If you do not know the finer points of Texas DWI laws, please read on, then contact an experienced McAllen, Texas DUI lawyer to learn what you should know about sleeping in your car while drunk in Texas.
Is sleeping in your car while drunk a crime in Texas?
Unfortunately, you can be charged with a DWI for sleeping in your car. For example, sleeping with your keys in the ignition is one of the ways that lead a police officer, judge or jury to believe that you were intending to drive while under the influence.
When can you sleep in a running car while drunk in Texas?
You should always avoid sleeping in your car while you’re under the influence. But, if you must sleep in your car, here are some tips to help show that you were not in actual physical control:
- Avoid moving your car, regardless of the distance
- Refrain from turning on the engine
- Ensure the heat, air conditioning, radio, headlights and windshield wipers are turned off
- Sleep in the back seat rather than the driver’s seat
- Keep your hands and feet away from the pedals and steering wheels
- Place your keys in the glove compartment, center console, trunk or another inconvenient location
- Prior to falling asleep, contact someone and inform them of your plan to sleep in your car until you are sober
Keep in mind that even if you do follow these tips, police can still arrest you for a DUI. Therefore, it is in your best interest to avoid falling asleep drunk in your car. Instead, take a taxi.
If you already face charges, let a qualified Hidalgo County, Texas criminal defense lawyer fight for you.
Contact Our Hidalgo County, Texas Firm
With collective decades of experience, the experienced attorneys at the Law Office of Angel Davila are committed to helping protect you from the penalties associated with a criminal conviction by defending you against charges of everything from DWI to Murder, and everything in between. We also help people through various family law and estate planning matters. Our firm proudly serves clients in Hidalgo County and throughout the state of Texas. For quality legal defense when you need it most, contact the Law Office of Angel Davila today.