Embezzlement is defined as the taking of property that does not belong to an individual when that individual has access to certain accounts or funds. To learn more about these convictions, reach out to our skilled Hidalgo County, Texas criminal defense lawyer. Our legal team is on your side.
What are the penalties for embezzlement in Texas?
Embezzlement charges are serious in the state of Texas. If you have been convicted you can face severe penalties as a result. It is important that you recognize that the penalties are largely dependant on the monetary value of what the individual has allegedly stole. The penalties for embezzlement in Texas are as follows:
- For property stolen that was worth less than $50: This is a Class C misdemeanor, warranting a potential $500 fine.
- For property stolen that was worth anywhere between $50-$500: This is a Class B misdemeanor, warranting a potential $2,000 fine, as well as a potential 180-day jail sentence.
- For property stolen that was worth anywhere between $500-$1,500: This is a Class A misdemeanor, warranting a potential $4,000 fine and a 1-year jail sentence.
- For property stolen that was worth more than $1,500: This is a felony crime, warranting a potential 180 days in prison to life, depending on the amount that you allegedly stole.
What are the defenses for an embezzlement conviction?
In the event that you have been charged with embezzlement in the state of Texas, it is critical that you retain the services of a skilled Texas criminal defense attorney that can use their experience help you against those charges. Even though the defense our firm uses largely depends upon the specific circumstances of your case, some of the most possible defenses we may use includes the following:
- That you reasonably believed that you had implicit consent to take the property without asking.
- That you taking the property was a misunderstanding or due to a miscommunication. This sometimes occurs when individuals are in charge of managing the finances of an elderly person.
- That you did not realize what you were doing was stealing, or illegal.
If you have been charged with embezzlement, it is in your best interest to reach out to our firm today to discuss the details of your case and your options.
Contact Our Hidalgo County, Texas Firm
With collective decades of experience, the experienced attorneys at the Law Office of Angel Davila are committed to helping protect you from the penalties associated with a criminal conviction by defending you against charges of everything from DUI to Murder, and everything in between. We also help people through various family law and estate planning matters. Our firm proudly serves clients in Hidalgo County and throughout the state of Texas. For quality legal defense when you need it most, contact the Law Office of Angel Davila today.