Sex offenses are often regarded as the most heinous crimes a person can commit, which is why anyone facing these allegations must retain the services of an aggressive McAllen, Texas sex crimes lawyer at once. Contact the Law Office of Angel Davila today.
Why Those Charged With Sex Crimes in McAllen, Texas Need a Lawyer
Facing charges of this magnitude and proceeding without competent legal assistance is perhaps the most foolish decision you can make. Our firm is ready to provide you with the strong representation you need to fight off these charges.
Types of Sex Crimes & Their Penalties in Texas
There are a wide array of sex crimes, and depending on the alleged offense, the accused party may face various penalties upon conviction. Just some of the most common sex offense charges we see in Texas, as well as some of their potential penalties, are as follows:
- Sexual Assault: 2-20 years of incarceration and a potential $10,000 fine.
- Aggravated Sexual Assault: Up to 99 years in prison and a $10,000 fine.
- Super Aggravated Sexual Assault: Life in prison, a $10,000 fine, regular drug/alcohol screening, limited internet access, potential death penalty.
- Solicitation of Prostitution: Anywhere between 180 days-2 years of incarceration and a $10,000 fine.
- Child Pornography: Between 5-25 years of incarceration and a $10,000 fine.
- Indecent Exposure (without a child present): Up to 180 days of incarceration and a $2,000 fine.
Will I Have to Register as a Sex Offender?
One of the most commonly-asked questions we hear from those facing sex offense charges is whether they will have to register as a sex offender. Unfortunately, anyone who has been convicted of an offense of a sexual nature is required to register as a sex offender. Texas law categorizes sex offenders either as level one, two, or three.
The amount of time a sex offender remains on the sex offender registry depends on the designation they receive. Level one is the lowest, meaning the individual poses the least amount of risk to his or her community, while level three is the highest and implies there is a high risk that the person will continue to engage in criminal sexual conduct. Depending on the type of offense/the sex offender designation a person receives, they may be required to register as a sex offender for anywhere between 10 years and for the rest of their life. Just some of the sex crimes that warrant lifetime registration are as follows:
- Sexual performance by a child
- Possession of child pornography
- Continuous sexual abuse of a child
- Sexual assault
- Aggravated sexual assault
- Super aggravated sexual assault
- Trafficking of persons
- Compelling prostitution of a minor
Once you are a registered sex offender, the general public will know your name, what you look like, your criminal history, and often, when you move into their neighborhoods. Rather obviously, this can permanently destroy a person’s good name. Don’t face sex crime charges on your own–only do so with a competent Hidalgo County, Texas criminal defense lawyer.
Contact a McAllen, Texas Sex Crimes Lawyer
Being convicted of a crime of a sexual nature can have a drastic impact on a person’s life. Our firm is here to fight for you. Contact the Law Office of Angel Davila today to schedule your free initial consultation with our experienced and aggressive legal team.